Thursday, August 12, 2010

SaS- Breakfast


Happy Thursday Seekers! It’s time for my F-A-V-O-R-I-T-E meal of the day, breakfast! So grab your spoons and let’s get to sharing with my sissy over at the tank!

We have a big breakfast every single weekend at the Usina household! Most weekends we do it on both Saturday and Sunday. Typically I make (blueberry) pancakes and sausage one day and then bacon, eggs, grits, and toast the next day. It just depends. Sometimes I make sausage gravy biscuits or bacon/egg/cheese biscuits. And they’re so much better than any fast-food restaurant biscuits, if I do say so myself! We also love having breakfast for dinner.

Today, I thought I’d share a recipe I got while going to Weight Watchers a couple of years ago. It’s a neat little recipe and I love it! It’s perfect for making ahead and taking with me to work. And it’s so much healthier than eating Panera bagels or Chick-fil-A everyday, like I’ve been doing!


Individual Ham Cheese and Veggie Frittatas
1 bag frozen (shredded) hash brown potatoes *thawed*
4-5 large eggs *beaten*
1 Tbsp low-fat milk
2 oz cooked lean ham (Canadian bacon) * finely chopped*
1/8 cup sweet red peppers *finely chopped*
1/8 cup green bell peppers *finely chopped*
1/8 cup onion *finely chopped*
½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
Salt and Pepper to taste



First Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray 8 muffin tin holes with cooking spray. Spread the hash brown potatoes around the bottom and press up the sides of each muffin hole. Place in the oven and cook for 10-12 minutes.


In a bowl beat the eggs and milk. Next add the ham, cheese, peppers, and onions and season with salt and pepper. (I like to slightly saute my peppers and onions first, but you don’t have too). Sometimes I add tomatoes!


Remove the pan from the oven and press the potatoes down firmly with a spoon so that they are spread out like mini piecrusts. Evenly pour the egg mixture into the center of each potato “piecrust”.


Return the pan to the oven and cook until the potatoes are crisp and golden, and the egg mixture is set. About 15-20 minutes. (Depending on your oven, it could take more OR less time).


There you have it, delicious and nutritious! I love these! I put two in a little baggie and take them to work with me. I just pop them in the microwave and reheat! (If you’re following WW, I believe 1 frittata equals 2 points). Now head on over to the tank and check out all the other fabulous recipes!

4 comments:

adrienzgirl said...

OMG! These are coming soon to a kitchen near you. I think Kamden will be aaaaallllll about these cause the healthfy and nutritious!

Thanks for Sharing!

Nancy C said...

Love this. Sounds delicious.

Tamara Dawn said...

I made my first frittata from the Dr Phil cookbook and I have been hooked ever since! I am not even a fan of Dr Phil haha but homeboy can make a mean fritatta!

I am so trying this one, thanks for sharing!

KristinFilut said...

You lost me at peppers... Maybe there are yummy veggies I can substitute... I'm still counting on grits when I'm down there.